After teeth whitening, most people believe that the most challenging part is done, and they can do whatever they want. However, this is not the case as a whitening procedure is an ongoing phase, and knowing how to take care of your teeth after whitening is vital. If you don’t take care of your teeth, your procedure will only last a few months before it discolors, which is why you need to prioritize bleaching care.
In this article, you will find some of the best teeth whitening tips to keep your mouth clean.
– Use fluoride toothpaste to brush twice a day to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
– Also, floss daily, especially at night before bed, to remove food particles from your teeth.
– Use an antiseptic mouthwash to eliminate bacteria in the mouth.
– To remove further discoloration from the teeth, it is advisable to use a whitening toothpaste twice a week.
– Avoid using colored toothpaste or mouthwashes as they are more likely to discolor the teeth.
– You would need to adjust your food hygiene. You need to avoid some foods, especially those with high acidities, like oranges, limes or lemons.
– After a teeth whitening treatment, your teeth would become sensitive. To reduce or solve this problem, ask the dentist for a mouthwash or toothpaste suitable for sensitivity after whitening.
It’s best to avoid stained beverages, as they cause tooth discoloration over time. These drinks mainly include fruit juice, lemonade, beer, tea, red wine, cola and coffee.
After a whitening treatment, you will have to wait some time for the results to set in, and this means that there are some foods and drinks that you should avoid while others are on the safe list. The latter are foods and drinks that are very suitable for the first two weeks after a teeth whitening procedure.
Foods: white rice, white fish like tilapia or haddock, white pasta, chicken, tofu, plain yogurt, oatmeal, white cereal, potatoes, almonds, egg whites, pears, chickpeas, cashews, banana, cauliflower, white cheese, Rice Krispie treats, white chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Drinks: coconut water, white wine, milk, unflavored sparkling or still water, coconut milk, clear alcohol and clear mixers.
These lists are some of the common recommendations, but you should ask your doctor for advice on what foods to eat during the time indicated without destroying your procedure.
This is a list of some colored and fatty foods that can discolor tooth enamel and avoid long-lasting white teeth.
Candy that is either artificially or naturally colored, such as Skittles and M&Ms.
– Colored berries like blueberries and raspberries.
– Colored vegetables like spinach and tomatoes.
– Colored sauces like soy sauce, red sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
– Colored spices like turmeric and paprika.
Teeth are sensitive after whitening, which can be made worse by eating too cold or too hot foods, so only eat foods or drinks that are mild in temperature.
Only consume foods that provide nutrients to the teeth and body, and don’t forget to brush and rinse before bed.
Smokers permanently have discolored and dark teeth with time. To maintain white teeth, one must avoid anything that contains tobacco. If it is difficult for a patient to stop smoking, it is best to talk to the dentist as he/she might have ideas to improve the situation. Once the patient stops smoking, he/she will be assured of whiter teeth and healthy lungs.
Patients who are addicted to black tea or coffee, which stains newly whitened teeth, should use a straw when drinking. A reusable metal star comes in a case that makes it handy, so you can always use it while you are at the coffee shop.
With these teeth whitening tips, you can take care of your freshly brushed teeth to keep them for a long time. You must avoid the foods listed here as they can be very harmful to your teeth in the long run.